Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 14 - Rest, Recovery, and Reflection.

I believe that we can't do too much to inspire and support each other. Now that we're at the half way point, I want to share some quotes and thoughts that have become mantras of mine these past two weeks. I think it is absolutely imperative to be intentional about your inner monologue.

I heard this on a commercial from the next room... no idea what they were advertising... but I love this:

"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today."

I can't even count how many times I've looked BACK and wished I would have made positive changes sooner. I'm doing this for myself. My future self. I want her to be proud of me. I also want her to have a great ass.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. I think that one speaks for itself. That's why I love the 28-day challenge. It's a do or do not situation. It's not a challenge to sort-of sometimes eat well and work out if you're not too busy.

Then there's Oprah's classic:

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." That helped me through the first week... what I call the drought days when I was still craving everything horrible for me.

Now I've amended it to: "No couch is as wonderful as the feeling of being strong." The fact that I played at the park and ran with my boys today without getting winded - that feels amazing.

I also love Sadie Lincoln's quote: "The hardest part of the workout is pressing play." I have found that to be SO true. On the days I just don't wanna... once I start, I'm glad I did. 100% of the time.

This one is a great one to help quiet your inner "Debbie Downer":

"Achievement has always belonged to the optimist." I believe fervently in mind over matter and the law of attraction. That adamant belief doesn't always keep me from straying to the dark side though. I think there is a little self-saboteur in each of us. Remember to tell her to stuff a sock in it.

Another one I've tried to keep close at heart:

"Success is a staircase, not a doorway." This is the mindset that keeps me off the scale everyday. I can't speak for all of us, but for me... the lack of instant gratification can be extremely demotivating. I'm doing my best to celebrate the little wins along the way while staying away from things that might derail me. For example, not losing any weight for a couple of days... ignorance is bliss.

Every couple of days I try to celebrate something that is changing for the better during this challenge. Not all just visible things like missing a chin or moving the putty... but how I'm feeling. Sleeping better, craving healthy foods, feeling stronger, or catching myself moving with more grace. I pointed my toes when I reached for something today. That made me giggle for a good solid minute.

So no matter how many pounds I lose, I'm making positive and impactful life changes. I'm also taking the time to take care of myself which is a whole new habit in and of itself. These are the benefits that I'm most excited about. Also, my kids are eating more veggies! I offer them, but they rarely eat them. Now that they see me eating them multiple times a day, they are getting more adventurous. The power of "monkey see monkey do" at work.

Ok - that's it for my motivational speech. Thanks for letting me ramble!

I'll leave you with the wise wise words of a certain little engine:

"I think I can I think I can I think I can."

xo
Jenn


2 comments:

  1. Love this!! Thanks for the inspirational words. I found "Success is a staircase, not a doorway" especially helpful--not just in keeping me motivated to work out + eat well, but also in my writing career. It's so important to keep moving forward and enjoy the journey, rather than asking, "Am I there yet?"

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Chelsea! It applies in so many ways! I need to get back in the habit of writing a little bit every day. Maybe this blog will get me back in to the swing of it!

      Delete