Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 11 - The proof is in the putty.

Happy day 11!

Last night I had one of the DIY salads for dinner. I've come to look forward to this meal option, partly for the fact that that it's always filling regardless of how skeptical my growling tummy may make me. Partly because it's like a little art project every time. As a mom of twin toddlers, I'm something of an expert when it comes to hiding healthy foods and vitamins in delicious things. Exhibit A:



These gluten-free pancakes have a daily dose of probiotics, Juice Plus, flax meal, and 2 egg whites each. I slap a little peanut butter on them for the boys and they gobble them right up. They had carrots and snap peas too. Bonus veggies!

Since I'm already privy to my own tricks (and my Mommy lives in Seattle), it's a little more complicated for me. I want to get all the greens into my body, but I don't typically love greens unless they are dressed in calories. Not gonna lie. Hence, the art of the big-ass salad. Since this challenge began, I have learned to balance things I love like walnuts and blueberries with things that I don't love like raw spinach and cabbage. Voila. It's a win win.


Leftover chicken, snow peas, carrots, cucumber, walnuts, blueberries... 

It also doesn't hurt that it takes ages to eat a big salad. I get full just because it takes so long. Especially in my house! Last night, I kept having to get up from the table to rescue Easton from Xander. Xander wanted to play horse. Easton didn't want to be the horse... you get the idea. I managed to snap one blurry picture before my conscience got the best of me and I put down the camera to save the screaming baby.


Today I woke up with sore thighs, abs, arms... the works. It's a great way to wake up. It's funny how sore muscles have transformed from a complaint to a point of pride.  I did the Runner's workout... which is probably the closest I'll come to being a runner. It was great though. I like Kait.

Also, my body is changing. I won't get back on the scale until Sunday or Monday, but today I left the house in yoga pants to run to the grocery store. (I know, stereotypical Mom move.) I have one pair of yoga pants that have silly putty on the right butt cheek. (For those of you that have ever sat in putty, you know it becomes one with the fabric... mating for life like penguins.) Those are the pants that are only used for actual yoga/barre. NOT errands. So, before I ran out of the house, I gave myself the once over in the full length mirror and saw a putty-free backside. It wasn't until I was in the checkout line that I realized the putty was there... it had just moved. It's now at the top of my thigh rather than on the tush. So there you have it. My butt is perkier. The proof is in the putty.

I picked up all the ingredients for the Harvest Lentil Soup per Sadie's suggestion. I'll let you know how it comes out, but it sounds like perfection. A special shout out to Trader Joe's for having such wonderful seasonal offerings.

PS. I had coffee today. Just one little cup...

xo
Jenn







1 comment:

  1. I love big salads!! I totally try to trick myself too, adding in yummy bits to distract from the boring-ness of lettuce.

    The pic of the twins playing horse is priceless!

    ReplyDelete